HIGH CONCEPT: The Immortal Iron Fist
TROUBLE: A Man of Two Worlds
- Heroes for Hire
- Living Weapon of Kun Lun
- Indifferent Billionaire
- Good +3: Careful
- Fair +2: Forceful, Quick
- Average +1: Clever, Sneaky
- Mediocre +0: Flashy
- Heart of Shou-Lao. Because he can focus his Chi to achieve superhuman feats Danny can spend a Fate point once per session to use Careful in place of any other approach.
- Master of Kung Fu. Because he is a Master of Kung Fu the Iron Fist gets a +2 to use his Careful approach to attack and Create Advantages in combat as long as he allows his opponent to strike first.
- The Living Weapon. When Iron Fist invokes Living Weapon of Kun Lun in hand to hand combat he gets +3 instead of a +2.
* Chi Focus. Through concentration, Iron Fist can harness his spiritual energy, or chi, to augment his physical and mental capabilities to peak human levels.
- Chi Mastery. Iron Fist can heal himself of any injury or illness and project this power to heal others. He can sense mystic energy, particularly that which is related to K’un-Lun. He is capable of fusing his consciousness with that of another person, enabling each to perceive the other’s emotions and memories. At times, he has absorbed energy directed at himself and channeled it to augment his own power. Under certain circumstances, he can even focus his chi to create nexus points between dimensions.
- Iron Fist. By focusing his chi into his hand, he can tap the superhuman energy of Shou-Lao and temporarily render his fist superhumanly powerful, immune to pain and injury; however, this process is mentally draining, and he usually needs recovery time before he can repeat it.
- Living Weapon. Iron Fist is an exceptional athlete, acrobat, and hand-to-hand combatant. He is a master of all of K’un-Lun’s martial arts and many of Earth’s, trained in the use of virtually all martial arts weapons. He has near-complete control over his nervous system, enabling him to deaden himself to pain.
- Real Name: Daniel Thomas Rand-Kai
- Identity: Publicly known
- Citizenship: Dual citizenship in K’un-Lun and the U.S.A.
- Place of Birth: Not revealed
- First Appearance: Marvel Premiere #15 (1974)
Years ago, Daniel Rand’s father found the legendary city of K’un-Lun. Saving the life of the city’s ruler, Wendell Rand stayed in K’un-Lun for a time before desiring to return to the United States. Years later, Wendell took his son Daniel, his wife Heather, and his friend and business partner, Harold Meachum, on a journey back to K’un-Lun. When Meachum betrayed them, Daniel’s parents died and he survived only due to the timely intervention of agents of K’un-Lun. Seeing the boy’s need for focus and desire for vengeance, the city’s ruler Yü-Ti directed the famed martial arts master Lei Kung the Thunderer to train the boy.
Danny Rand trained in K’un Lun, eventually defeating the dragon Shou-Lao and gaining the power of the Iron Fist, the city’s protector and champion. Returning to the United States, Iron Fist avenged his father and took over the family business, Rand International. He also met hero-for-hire Luke Cage, AKA Power Man. The two became unlikely friends and partners, working together as freelance super heroes for years. Eventually the two dissolved their business partnership but not their friendship.
Danny then wandered the world, seeking enlightenment and resolving various issues with his troubled past. Recently, Iron Fist has returned to the United States once more. When the identity of Daredevil, Danny’s long-time friend and fellow hero, leaked to the public, Iron Fist stepped into the vigilante’s identity for a time to help out.
Iron Fist is disciplined, motivated, and idealistic. He seeks an enlightened existence through meditation, spiritual exploration, and the study of martial arts. Not that he doesn’t like to have fun—he has a romantic streak, and though somewhat stiff and naïve in his early days, years spent hanging with Luke Cage have given Danny street smarts and a sharp sense of humor.
Abilities & Resources
Trained to be the current Immortal Weapon for the fabled city of K’un-Lun, Iron Fist is one of the world’s greatest martial artists. He has mastery over his body’s internal energies, or chi. Danny can channel this energy to heal, augment his physical and mental abilities, and transform each hand “like unto a thing of iron,” making them capable of delivering devastating blows. His abilities also extend his life and grant him exceptional resistance to disease and toxins, though these can still affect him and weaken his chi. Danny is also a shrewd businessman, accomplished acrobat, and trained investigator.
As the current Immortal Weapon of K’un-Lun, Iron Fist can draw upon the resources and secret knowledge of that fabled hidden city. Danny also runs his family’s multinational corporation, Rand International, though its fortunes rise and fall. Iron Fist is a long-time partner and best friend of Luke Cage and has many connections in the super hero
community. Chief among these allies are Daredevil and the Daughters of the Dragon, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight. Misty and Danny have a long romantic history, though the two are currently not together.