HIGH CONCEPT: The Man Without Fear
TROUBLE: Out in the Open
- Protector of Hell’s Kitchen
- Blind Justice
- Devil in the Dark
- Good +3: Flashy
- Fair +2: Careful, Sneaky
- Average +1: Clever, Quick
- Mediocre +0: Forceful
- Acrobat. Since he is a supreme acrobat Daredevil gets a +2 to use Flashy to Create an Advantage while flipping and bouncing around.
- Radar Sense. Because he can sense his surroundings even in pitch darkness with his radar sense Daredevil gains a +2 to Sneakily Gain an advantage in the dark.
- Billy Club. Because he has Billy Clubs Daredevil gets a +2 to Flashily Attack while wielding them.
- Supernatural Senses. Amazing Scale. He is blind but Daredevil’s other four senses have been preternaturally enhanced. His touch, smell, taste and hearing all enable Murdock to more than compensate for being blind. He can identify and track individuals through their scent, hear their heartbeats and determine if they are telling the truth, or read a newspaper by feeling the impressions left on the page by the printing press. Because of his extreme sensitivity these senses can be overwhelmed by overstimulation (loud noises, intense smells etc.).
- Radar Sense. Amazing Scale. Daredevil has a Radar Sense that paints a 360 degree picture of his surroundings. He can also sense electromagnetic radiation. This sense can be disrupted by extremes of electromagnetic energy and can be fooled by oveerlapping objects.
- Master Martial Artist. Remarkable Scale. Daredevil possesses the strength, speed, agility, and endurance, not to mention acrobatic and gymnastic skills, of an Olympic-level athlete. He is a master of a unique martial art form, which is a hybridized form of American boxing and the Japanese arts of ninjutsu, judo and aiki-jujutsu.
- Billy Club. Remarkable Scale. Daredevil has been known to wield a multi-purpose weapon that has many different modes. It’s initial form is two billy clubs held together by an extendable cable. It can shift from a nunchaku- like weapon to a manrikigusari (a long rope/chain weapon with two weights on its ends), dual billy clubs which can be wielded in an Eskrima-like fashion, staff, or a cable with a grappling hook. The weapon can also be adjusted to combine both sticks into an Eskrima stick. Most notably, the billy club can be disguised as a blind man’s cane, for use by DD’s alter ego, Matthew Murdock. The weapon is held by a holster on the side of Daredevil’s left leg.
- Lawyer. Remarkable Scale. Matt Murdock is an accomplished criminal trial lawyer.
- Real Name: Matthew Michael Murdock
- Identity: Revealed in a tabloid newspaper, but denied by Murdock
- Citizenship: U.S.A.
- Place of Birth: New York City
- First Appearance: Daredevil #1 (1964)
Young Matt Murdock’s life changed forever the day he pushed a blind man out of the way of a speeding truck. A container filled with radioactive liquid from that truck struck Matt, destroying his sight but enhancing his other senses to superhuman levels. Growing up blind in New York City’s crimeridden Hell’s Kitchen, he was determined not to let his situation hinder him. He trained his body at the gym and his mind in the classroom. The blind martial artist, Stick, taught Matt to master his enhanced senses and hone his fighting skills. Eventually, Matt became a top law student, and his future looked bright, until the mob murdered Matt’s father, prizefighter “Battlin’ Jack” Murdock, for refusing to throw a fight. Unable to get justice in the courts, Matt donned a costume and took down the killers as “Daredevil, the Man Without Fear.”
After this tragedy, Matt devoted his life to the pursuit of justice, both in the courtroom and on the streets of Hell’s Kitchen. As Daredevil he has fought numerous criminals and killers, chief among them the Kingpin’s mob, the master assassin Bullseye, and the villainous ninja cult known as the Hand. As Matt Murdock, he has become a crusading attorney aiding the defenseless alongside his partner and best friend, Foggy Nelson.
Daredevil’s life has been full of trials and tragedy. He has loved and lost many times, most notably ex-secretary Karen Page and the Greek assassin Elektra. The Kingpin has targeted him and his loved ones several times, nearly destroying the hero’s sanity and reputation. More recently, Daredevil’s true identity has leaked to the press, endangering the lives of everyone Matt Murdock holds dear.
Daredevil’s confidence and calm, even when faced with overwhelming odds, fuels his reputation as the Man Without Fear. In truth, Murdock does feel fear but refuses to be ruled by it. In either identity, he is a passionate defender of the weak and enemy of the corrupt. He is more stoic and less wordy than most, preferring to let his reputation and abilities speak for him.
Abilities & Resources
Daredevil is blind, but compensates with superhumanly heightened senses of smell, touch, hearing, and taste. He also possesses a radar sense that lets him detect objects and people. His senses are acute enough that he can read newsprint by touching it and detect lies by listening to someone’s heartbeat.
Daredevil is a master hand-to-hand combatant, trained in boxing, ninjitsu, and various other martial arts. He is an incredible acrobat and uses a specially designed billy club equipped with a swingline. As Matt Murdock, he is one of the world’s most gifted defense attorneys. Daredevil is not a great team player, but has many friends. He has worked closely with Spider-Man, Moon Knight, Captain America, and even the Punisher. At different times in his life, he has been a partner, romantically and otherwise, to Elektra and the Black Widow. He is also close to his law partner, Franklin “Foggy” Nelson, and reporter Ben Urich. Daredevil is a licensed attorney in the State of New York and a respected member of that profession.